Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Mozambique - Day 8: Chipembe - worshipping, visiting, co-op garden

Day 8 was a Sunday, also our last full day in Montepuez.  Sunday is a very busy day for the Howells in Mozambique. Each Sunday they visit a church in a nearby village, I believe most of the churches have been planted through their mission work. Visiting a church involves visiting with the church members, worshipping and usually a meal. We were able to go to a nearby village, Chipembe, to visit, worship, and eat.  After eating, we visited a co-op garden that several members of the church share. It was a great garden!

Here are some memories/highlights from Day 8:

*I loved helping my nieces with their beautiful blonde hair.  

Aunt Erin and Ellie

*Once we arrived in Chipembe, Alan took Aaron and I around to meet a few different people in the village, including the Chief.   

*This girl was working on pounding corn (I believe) for sheema.  Aaron gave it a go (which they kids found amusing), though the women over there put us both to shame.  They are so strong!  



*Before worship began, the girls played with some of the kids.  Once I got my camera out, the kids were jumping up and down trying to get me to take a picture! and of course, I had to show them the picture.
 Katie Joy


 Ellie
 Abby
 


*There were even a few ladies that wanted me to take their picture.


*This is where the church meets and a few members of the church.


Rachel and Erin
*We sang some songs in Makua (again, I attempted..).  Alan gave a lesson.  We shared in the Lord's Supper.  We prayed.  

*Lord's Supper consisted of chopped cookies and an orange drink that tasted very similar to medicine.  (We participated, even though Byron and Jeanette sent along travel communion cups for us..ha)

*After worship we were served sheema and cabbage.  

* We spent a lot of time sitting on woven baskets and mats that morning...

*After lunch, we loaded into the car (with a few Mozambicans in the back) and headed down the road to a co-op garden.  Several members of the church work in the garden and it was so neat to see all their hard work.  I think they really enjoyed showing it off too.



Abby

Ellie with Uncle Aaron
 







Aunt Erin with Abby 

*We were sent home with another gift, onions.  Lots of onions!


*Side note: I decided to ration my water while at church and eating lunch as I decided I would be perfectly ok with not experiencing a latrine while on my trip to Africa. :)  I had survived 7 days.. I could make it one more day!  

*Sunday afternoon we met a few more of Alan and Rachel's friends that stopped by, including Rachel's language teacher.
Guys picture.  Mario, Alan, Aaron.  And Katie Joy joined in. :)
 

sometimes it's hard to pray with a 1 1/2 year old around...
 
 Rachel with her language teacher
sometimes it's hard to pray with a 1 1/2 year old around...

*Sunday evening is movie night at the Howell home.  Rachel insisted that we watch Horton Hears a Who since we had never seen it.  

*After dinner and a movie, we packed up our things to head to Pemba on Monday.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs