Friday, March 13, 2009

Coupon Queen Wanna-Be?

So, I'm considering a new calling. Coupon Queen? I dunno if I'm up for the challenge, but I gave it a first try today and I think it went pretty well. I had never really clipped coupons before. Every once in a while I will clip a coupon for pizza delivery or out of those big entertainment books that you buy for school fundraisers, and I sure don't EVER buy anything online before searching high and low for a "promotional code", but I never clipped coupons for groceries and other personal items. A few days ago I read Kristina's blog about being frugal and she mentioned thegrocerygame.com. I was eager to learn more about it so I checked out the site. It seems to be a pretty good idea. It creates a list of items that are best to buy (in your area at a specific store) based on what's on sale and the coupons that you should have. My only problem was that I really should have waited until I had a stash of coupons to reference to. More than once my list would reference a coupon that was received in the Feb 1 Red Plum... well I sure didn't have that coupon, they all got thrown away if it was received before yesterday. Anyways, the GG has a trial for $1 for a month and then you can decide to keep it or not and then you have to pay $ for it... not too bad though. I'm going to see how much I can save then decide if it is worth it.
Anyways, so since I didn't have a lot of coupons saved up, I did internet searching for coupons for the items that were on sale, and I had pretty decent luck.
So here's what I got today with my coupons/sales etc...

Original price = $33.93

Some of my best deals:
Colgate toothpaste Was: $2.13 each Now: FREE - yep all 3 of them!
Purina puppy chow Was: $4.48 Now: 0.98
Land O Lakes butter Was: $1.89 Now: 0.44
Scotch Brite Sponges Was: $1.69 each Now: 0.50 each

Total paid: $10.12
Saved: $23.81 that's 70%

Looks like I am going to have to try this again. :) I like those numbers!
I was actually kind of nervous when I checked out, because I almost felt like I was ripping them off.. I mean, I got 3 tubes of toothpaste for FREE!

5 comments:

Beto and Emily Huamani said...

i'm highly impressed! can you send me those colgate coupons again? i think i may have deleted it! :( send it to huamanicoupons@hotmail.com :)

great job!

On a journey to a health baby said...

ahhhh i forgot to buy a newspaper today! if there are any good coupons that you dont want, lemme know! :(

also, fyi, we go to restaurant websites like ocharleys.com, tgifridays.com, chilis.com, etc. and register our email addresses. you immediately get free coupons for desserts or appetizers, and random coupons for whenever or birthdays or anniversaries! just about every restaurant does it! :)

Mindy said...

How did you get them for free?? I am interested... :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm impressed, too! That's an amazing savings!! How did you get the toothpaste free?

Cristin Claire said...

Wow! Look at you! Okay, you are now going to have to teach me how to save like that...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs