Monday, September 13, 2010

Secret to Running?

So today I ran 2 miles. I guess that means I'm not a marathon runner.. or anything close to it.. but if I have to exercise, running is usually my choice.
Here are some of the investments I've made for my running habit or lack thereof:
1. Treadmill - ok, some of you people may think I'm crazy.. but after hearing the rumors about HAW busy season weight gain (5-10lbs)... I decided it was worth checking into. We were lucky enough to find a decent, used one on Craigslist for only $70. Totally worth it. It hangs out in our sunroom. Our sunroom has lots of windows, which is nice when it gets cool outside to open while running. The treadmill makes running more convenient for me, I can run while the oven is preheating or water is boiling, etc.. Or I can run late at night, when it's dark and a bit uncomfortable for me to go outside by myself. During busy season, this was vital as I usually left for work in the dark and arrived home in the dark.
2. Fancy shoes from Fleet Feet. I love that store and I love my shoes. Adidas Supernova.
3. iPhone. Ok, so maybe I didn't get the iphone for running... BUT the Slacker Radio on it has been crucial to my "success".

Ok.. so wanna know my secret for making it through 2 miles today?
1. Slacker Radio - see above
2. I just kept telling myself... "that pain in your chest, it's been there the whole time.. just keep going." "those leg cramps aren't too bad... just temporary" "wow, you give up easy"
Basically.. "you're a wuss... push through"

Happy run to all my runners out there!

PS. I obviously shouldn't be giving running advice, since I was struggling for 2 miles.. but another way I made it through the run was writing this post in my head :)

4 comments:

RayGray said...

So motivational. lol. I did go running the other day and aside from the pain in my knee it was a pretty good run, seeing as how I haven't run in almost forever. I need to get into it more...

Maggie said...

Haha this made me laugh. It was mainly the talking to yourself.

Mindy said...

Blah! Running is mean! Thanks for the tips, though. :)

Taran and Jessie & Ellis, Everett and Zula said...

ran this morning and I have found the BEST running motivation... Zula now laughs the whole time I run, while I walk for warm up and cool down she is happy but as soon as I started running she started laughing and she laughed the whole time. I was so excited when I realized I had been running for 1 mile without even noticing it because of her cute little giggle!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs