Monday, September 13, 2010

What's for Dinner?

Momma's Spaghetti!

My friend Julie had a blog post over the weekend with her menu for the week... well that encouraged me to get off my butt and make a grocery list and go grocery shopping. I always plan to do this weekly, but somehow we always end up with enough food to stretch out longer and longer.. then we are just making things up to hold out going to the grocery.. or stopping by to pick up one or 2 things to complete the meal. (having Publix right out your front door can be sooo convenient and sooo bad all at the same time!)

Anyways, tonight was Momma's Spaghetti. It's nothing fancy, just the way I like. It's one of the only spaghettis I truly love. I think it's the *special ingredient*.
It's also really really cheap to make. Score.

1 lb. hamburger meat ($2-$3)
1 can tomato sauce ($0.49)
1 can tomato paste ($0.45)
Garlic salt (staple)
Pepper (staple)
2 1/2 tsp. italian seasoning (staple - $3.49 for new bottle)
1 tsp. sugar (staple)
wheat noodles (staple - ~$1.75 for box)

Season hamburger meat with garlic salt and pepper to taste. Brown hamburger meat. Drain. Add tomato sauce. Add 1 can of water. (use tomato sauce can). Add tomato paste. Add italian seasoning and sugar. I always add more than 1 tsp of sugar.. that's the special ingredient. :) Serve with noodles.. wheat if you want it to be a tad bit healthy. We serve it up with garlic bread.. homemade, aka cheap. (white bread with butter and garlic salt - in oven for 5-7 mins)



It's just so simple, cheap, and delicious.. it's a regular on our menu.
Thanks momma!

Ps. Head over to Lauren's blog if you want some good veggies to serve with your spaghetti. We both just so happened to have spaghetti for dinner and we both independently decided to blog about it... considering we had bread and they had veggies.. they win on the healthy eating.

4 comments:

Lucas, Em, Landon, and Lucy said...

Luke likes one my mom always made for us. It's meat, paste, water, and (1tbs)brown sugar! You might just like it, since you add a little extra sugar to yours! And if you want to save some time for the next week, you can always make 2 or 3x's the sauce, and freeze.And it always tastes good when it sits in the crock pot on low all night =D

Julie said...

HAHA Erin you are too funny! Okay so way to put your recipe and pics of your meal up. You win! :D I'm really trying to do better at meal planning and I figure if I try and post it weekly maybe that will keep me motivated. Now that I know you read it. haha
Love ya girl!

Lauren Tarpley said...

Thanks for the shout out :)
What I had for lunch wasn't super healthy so I think we are even on the healthy eating of the day ;)

Mindy said...

Oh, this meal brings back so many memories!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs